Dillian Whyte has called on Tyson Fury to give him his mandatory challenge for the WBC heavyweight title – boasting that he “bashed up” ‘The Gypsy King’ when the pair sparred in the past.
The 32-year-old Whyte (27-1) is supposed to face Fury by February 2021, but that looks challenging with Fury still having to negotiate a third fight with Deontay Wilder this year, and the lure of a potential megamatch with fellow Brit Anthony Joshua to unify the belts on the horizon.
Whyte, who is currently training for a showdown with Russian Alexander Povetkin, appeared on Sky Sports News to goad Fury, claiming: “He’s the one that come out and said he beat me up in the gym and stuff like that. I can tell you now, that didn’t happen. I don’t like telling sparring stories, but people in the game know. They know about me. Well, me and Tyson Fury sparred and I bashed him about and dropped him on multiple occasions. Simple as that.
“If I was such an easy fight, why is he not in any rush to fight me? He said before beating Wilder, ‘when I beat Wilder, I’m going to give Dillian Whyte his title shot’. He just talks rubbish.”
Fury said only last week that he has no problem giving Whyte his title shot if for any reason the big showdown with Joshua cannot be made. ‘The Body Snatcher’ though is in no mood to wait around though, re-iterating: “He just needs to stop talking rubbish and let’s have a go. It will be a major fight. Let’s have it out. This is war, let’s go.”
Whyte’s showdown with the 40-year-old Povetkin (35-2-1) had been scheduled for July 4 in Manchester, but now due to the COVID-19 pandemic it will likely be held behind closed doors, potentially at Eddie Hearn’s Fight Camp which will be staged in the palatial grounds of Matchroom’s Essex headquarters.