Dillian Whyte is looking at potential alternative opponents after the news that his rematch with Alexander Povetkin will be subjected to a further delay.
Whyte (27-2) had been due to face Povetkin (36-2-1) for a second time in London in November, before the Russian contracted COVID-19.
The bout was subsequently rescheduled for Saturday January 30, 2021 – but Whyte’s promoter Eddie Hearn says Povetkin is still recovering and a further delay of four weeks is likely.
Povetkin still recovering from COVID
He told Sky Sports News: “That fight was planned for January 30 and previously November 21. Povetkin does need more time recovering from COVID but not too long. We expect him to have a four-week delay.
“When I conveyed that news to Whyte it didn’t go down very well! His first question was: ‘Who else can we fight? Can we fight Luis Ortiz, Deontay Wilder, Andy Ruiz Jr?’ The answer is: ‘Yes any of those would be fantastic’.
“But he does want, more than anything, to avenge the defeat that he suffered at the hands of Povetkin. That is on his mind. So I said to him: ‘I think you should wait [to fight Povetkin]’.”
Hearn says while he believes Whyte should wait for Povetkin, he will be assessing what other potential opposition is out there should ‘The Body Snatcher’ decide to go in a different direction.
Hearn looking at Whyte options
“We will be reaching out to other players in the heavyweight division to see if they fancy it,” Hearn told Sky Sports News.
“I’d love to make Ruiz Jr vs Whyte, Wilder vs Whyte, Ortiz vs Whyte.
“Chisora is always ready. He is another name to throw in the mix, potentially, for Whyte if the Povetkin fight is delayed.
“He is always in excellent fights, always entertaining, he is on good form.”
Whyte’s shocking knockout defeat by Povetkin at Matchroom Fight Camp in August cost Dillian his status as WBC heavyweight mandatory contender.
“I really feel that Dillian needs to wipe that [defeat] off his record against Povetkin,” said Hearn.