Frank Warren has talked out up Tyson Fury’s likely meeting with Anthony Joshua, saying it has “all the ingredients of a massive massive showdown.”
The personalities involved inside and outside of the ring make the expected double-header between the pair next year a mouthwatering prospect, and the news on Wednesday that a deal has been agreed in principle between the two fighters was greeted by frenzied excitement in the boxing world and farther afield.
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn first revealed that financial terms had been agreed, and soon afterwards a clearly excited Fury took to Twitter to confirm the news.
Frank Warren on Fury reaction
Warren – whose Queensberry Promotions promote Fury along with Bob Arum’s Top Rank – told BBC 5 Live Sport: “He (Fury) was really happy about it, he put a very brief message out saying how delighted he was. It’s something he wants and has wanted for a long long time. I think it’s a great fight for him, I think it’s a fantastic fight for him to have – and for AJ too.
'It's got all the ingredients of a massive, massive showdown' 🔥🥊
🗣️ @frankwarren_tv says both camps are fired up and ready for #FuryJoshua
Listen live ⬇️
🎧 https://t.co/bcbGWqAZal#bbcboxing pic.twitter.com/KGPav82eUJ
— BBC 5 Live Sport (@5liveSport) June 10, 2020
“From a financial perspective it’s a massive fight for both of them and for the fans, certainly in this country and indeed around the world, it’s a great heavyweight competitive fight
“It’s not gonna get any more competitive than this. The camps are against each other, the fighters are against each other. It’s got all the ingredients of a massive massive showdown.”
Frank Warren on Fury vs Joshua negotiations
Warren also released a statement, going into more detail about how the negotiations had unfolded, and where they now stand.
The statement read: “Queensberry Promotions and MTK Global have seen today’s commentary in relation to a potential unification fight between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua. We can confirm negotiations have taken place between Eddie Hearn and Tyson’s adviser Daniel Kinahan.
“Both Queensberry and Top Rank, as Tyson’s exclusive promoters, and MTK Global, his management team, agreed that this would be the best way forward due to the existing relationship between Eddie and Daniel.
“As with all previous statements, Queensberry, Top Rank and MTK are committed to working with all parties to get this fight over the line.
No contracts signed yet for Fury vs Joshua
“At this point, we can confirm no contracts have been signed between any of the concerned parties, nor have any specifics been agreed regarding venues, dates and numerous other key terms.
“Both sides do accept that any prospective fight will demand a 50-50 split and both sides accept there will be a rematch.
“Obviously, we are keen to make the fight that British fans demand and will continue negotiations in order to deliver Tyson his shot at becoming the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.
“Things are going in the right direction and we couldn’t be happier that a potential mega fight is in reach.”