Dillian Whyte says he’s “devastated” after his huge showdown with Otto Wallin, scheduled for October 30, was called off due to a shoulder injury sustained by ‘The Body Snatcher’.
Whyte (28-2) was hoping to cement his right to a WBC title shot against Tyson Fury by disposing of the Swede (22-1), who himself gave Fury fits during a Las Vegas showdown in 2019.
Whyte had apparently been carrying the injury for a couple of weeks in a bid to go through with the fight, but earlier this week he was forced to admit defeat.
Dillian Whyte on Wallin postponement
“I am devastated as I had a great camp, was in great shape, and had great sparring,” he said.
“I was looking forward to knocking Wallin out and would have done so in the first half of the fight. I am devastated about not being able to fight on October 30 but I want to thank everyone for all of their support.”
Whyte’s physician, Dr Harjinder Singh, said: “Dillian sustained a shoulder injury during training in preparation for his planned fight on October 30 2021, which I have assessed and confirmed with diagnostic imaging.
“I have treated the injury, but the injury will unfortunately prevent him from fighting on October 30 2021. With immediate rest, physiotherapy and rehabilitation there should be no enduring concerns.”
Hearn – 02 bill will still go ahead
Promoter Eddie Hearn says the 02 show topped by Whyte vs Wallin will still go ahead, with Chantelle Cameron vs Mary McGee now headlining.
“Dillian carried this injury for the last couple of weeks but it worsened in sparring on Monday night and it was impossible for him to continue,” said Hearn.
“It’s a huge shame because Dillian had a great camp before the injury and was ready to go. The show will continue on October 30 without Dillian and we wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him back in the ring very soon.”
Whyte of course has been waiting for his WBC title shot for years. He was the mandatory challenger and on the cusp of a crack at Fury in August 202o when he was knocked out by Alexander Povetkin at Matchroom Fight Camp.
Dillian then regained the interim WBC title and eventually that mandatory position when he battered Povetkin into retirement with a superb performance on Gibraltar in March.