','
' ); ?>

No chance Wilder steps aside – Bob Arum

Legendary boxing promoter Bob Arum says there is no chance American Deontay Wilder will step aside to allow Tyson Fury to lock horns with British rival Anthony Joshua in his next fight.

Fury is contractually obliged to face former WBC king Wilder for a third time later this year, with the rescheduled date now set for October 3 as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to disrupt the sporting calendar.

Joshua said earlier this week that he could potentially face Fury next if Wilder were to step aside, challenging him to step up to the plate now.

The ‘Gypsy King’ destroyed Wilder in the eagerly-awaited rematch of their 2018 draw when the pair clashed in Las Vegas in February. But the ‘Bronze Bomber’ has already he said he will not take a step-aside fee to pave the way for Fury vs Joshua.

Top Rank CEO Arum, who promotes Fury along with Frank Warren agreed, telling IFL TV: “Wilder wants to fight Fury again. He’s not indicated to us or anybody else that he would be willing to step aside. A further question is who is going to pay him to step aside? And, anyone on our staff has not even raised the possibility with us.”

YouTube video

Even if Wilder was to accept step-aside money, the same would have to happen with Kubrat Pulev, the Bulgarian lined up to face Joshua when sport restarts following COVID-19. Another scenario Arum sees as highly unlikely at the moment.

“So as far as we’re concerned, we’re thinking ahead to a third Fury-Wilder fight. We’re Pulev’s co-promoter as well and nobody has discussed with us a step-aside.

“I speak with authority on this because of my relationship with Pulev and my role in Fury and Wilder, there has been absolutely no discussions by anybody about either of those guys stepping aside.”

Get Fury vs. Joshua updates! Sign-up >>