Joyce (12-0) is currently ranked #2 by the World Boxing Organization (WBO) at heavyweight, and will become the next mandatory challenger if he defeats the dangerous Takam (39-5-1 with 28 wins inside distance).
It will be Joe’s first outing since that career-best win over Daniel Dubois in their eagerly-awaited domestic dust-up last November. Joyce coped with everything the highly-rated Dubois could throw at him – all the while closing Daniel’s eye with a spearing left lead.
By Round 10 the eye was completely closed and Dubois, who it was subsequently found had sustained a fractured eye socket, took a knee to be counted out.
Takam no easy option for Joyce
Joyce had been expected to face current WBO mandatory contender Oleksandr Usyk next. But that fell through when Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua collapsed and Usyk got an immediate shot at AJ. They are expected to meet on September 25.
Takam is absolutely not a soft fallback option – and defeat for Joyce would ruin his world title ambitions.
Joe said: “I only want competitive fights but everyone wants to avoid me. Carlos Takam didn’t even want to spar me in Las Vegas, so I’m surprised he’s taken the fight. He has operated at a high level for a long time but on July 24th the Juggernaut will be activated… and I will run him over.”
Joyce’s promoter Frank Warren added: “It was a great win for Joe against Daniel Dubois. He has been inactive since then because we have been waiting for WBO title situation between Anthony Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk to be finalised.
“Had that fight not happened Joe would have been fighting Usyk for the vacant title, so we had to wait and see what the outcome would be. That situation has been sorted. Joe will become the mandatory challenger for the winner and get his world title fight – should he beat Carlos Takam.
Dangerous fight – Warren
“It is a testament to Joe’s character that he’d take a fight as difficult as this when a world title fight is waiting round the corner. This is a dangerous, dangerous fight and Joe needs to make sure he doesn’t let Carlos come in and take everything he’s worked so hard for.”
Takam, now aged 40, has won his last four since suffering back-to-back defeats at the hands of Anthony Joshua in 2017 and 2018 respectively.
He said: “I am excited about my fight on July 24th! Hey Joe; let’s give the great boxing fans in the UK an exciting fight!! Be ready because I am a problem.”
Joe DeGuardia (President of Star Boxing and promoter of Takam) meanwhile said: “Joyce-Takam is a significant and compelling heavyweight fight. Certainly if Carlos wins it puts him in a position to take Joe Joyce’s #1 world ranking and eventual world title shot, so Carlos is extremely anxious to capitalise on this opportunity”.