Tyson Fury says he will fight in December, whether it is in Las Vegas against Deontay Wilder or “against Joe Bloggs in England”.
‘The Gypsy King’ is contracted to meet Wilder in a trilogy match for the WBC, Ring magazine and lineal world heavyweight titles and until this week Saturday December 19 in Las Vegas appeared to be the likely date.
But Fury’s co-promoter Bob Arum told ESPN on Wednesday that date will now not happen due to competition for TV eyeballs with a busy American football schedule and the bout will be moved, potentially to a date earlier in December.
Fury frustrated by confusion
Fury told talkSPORT: “I am very ready to fight now but the problem is I keep hearing different stories about what’s happening.
“I’m supposed to be boxing December 19 against Deontay Wilder. Recently I read a story that they’re trying to bring it forward.
“The the one thing I want to announce is that I will be fighting in December – whether it’s against Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas or Joe Bloggs in England
“If they’re trying to put it back to next year I wanna fight now. I made it very very clear if we can’t fight in America then I wanna come back to the UK and do a homecoming.”
The Wilder trilogy match had initially been scheduled for July and then October, but the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has so far stopped it from happening. Arum has consistently stated it will not happen without a live gate (the Las Vegas rematch in February brought in a heavyweight-record $17million through the turnstiles).
Fury is clearly extremely frustrated as the chances of him being able to fight again before the end of 2020 appear to hang in the balance.
“I’m about one hour from going totally AWOL if I don’t hear any news. I need to know what’s happening because the dates keep being moved.”
He then added: “BT Sport if you’re listening, get your hand in your pocket and bring ‘The Gypsy King’ back home.”