Frank Warren says there are “no obstacles” standing in the way of a blockbusting world heavyweight title showdown between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua.
On June 10 the sports media went into meltdown when Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn and Fury himself both announced that the fighters had ‘agreed in principle’ the financial structure of a two-fight deal for next year – a 50-50 split for the first bout and a 60-40 share in favour of the winner for the rematch.
Warren – who promotes Fury alongside Bob Arum and Top Rank – said there is much still to be decided however, but doesn’t see any of it as a major blocker to the biggest fight in British boxing history.
He told Sky Sports: “You say it’s agreed, but nothing is agreed.All that’s agreed is a 50-50 split. There is a mountain of stuff, and I’m not wanting it not to happen. The way forward is to get everybody to get together, get everyone around the table and sort it out, and that’s how it will be done.
“Who walks first? What side of the poster? Just toss a coin. Let’s make a list, here’s the 10 points. Spin a coin, whoever wins, you’ve got the first one, he’s got the second one. Get it on. Stop putting obstacles in the way. There are no obstacles in the way of this fight.”
The controversial Daniel Kinahan had been leading negotiations from the Fury side but Arum announced earlier this week after a storm of adverse publicity that Kinahan will no longer represent Fury in fight negotiations and that Arum himself will lead future talks.
Now that news is public, Hearn intends to contact Arum in the next few days and told Sky Sports: “I will negotiate with whoever Team Fury ask me to, to make this fight. They have made it clear Bob Arum is leading all negotiations now around this fight, and I will be speaking to him this week.”
While both fighters appear to want the big showdown, the sport’s sanctioning bodies could yet throw a spanner in the works.
As well as a third meeting with Deontay Wilder later this year, Fury is supposed to face WBC mandatory contender Dillian Whyte by the end of February 2021. And Joshua is supposed to face IBF mandatory Kubrat Pulev this year followed by WBO mandatory Oleksandr Usyk.
So unless solutions are found both Fury and Joshua could each face two fights before getting to meet each other – with the potential an upset in any one of them could take some of the shine – and financial value – off that all-British blockbuster.
Fury currently holds the WBC, Ring magazine and lineal world titles while Joshua is the reigning IBF, WBA and WBO world champion. But at this stage the chances of the fight being for all the world heavyweight title belts would appear to be waning.