Fury vs Joshua may have to wait – Haye

Former world heavyweight champion David Haye believes a blockbusting all-British unification fight between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua may not happen until late 2021.

Sport around the world has effectively ground to a halt due to the global spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, with Joshua’s planned IBF, WBA and WBO title defence against Kubrat Pulev (planned for June 20) biting the dust as a result. Fury’s planned third fight with Deontay Wilder has also been delayed, with October 3 the current date.

Haye – who himself held the WBA world title between 2009 and 2011 – says fans desperate to see Fury and Joshua in the ring together may have to wait a while for that tantalising prospect to become reality.

“All that matters is what happens when they both fight each other,” he told Sky Sports.

“It’s a fight that every boxing fan will be salivating to see but I don’t think we’ll see it until late 2021.

“I think this year is a bit of a mess, if both fighters have one fight in 2020 I’ll be happy. The third fight with Wilder and Fury is a cracking fight. And then AJ can face Pulev is another solid fight too.”

Joshua hinted earlier this week that he’d love to fight Fury next – but that would require the promoters to find a way to have Pulev and Wilder both step aside to allow it to happen. And Wilder has already said he has no intention of giving up his contractual right to a third fight with Fury.

TV rights for a Fury vs Joshua blockbuster would also be a fascinating sub-plot. Fury’s fights in the UK are currently aired by BT Sport while Joshua normally appears on Sky Sports.
In the United States Fury has a contract with ESPN reportedly worth £80m while Joshua’s recent fights have been shown by global streaming company DAZN.
Get Fury vs. Joshua updates! Sign-up >>